Al Mar AM-C8 Chef's Knife, 8.25 in., Black Pakkawood Handle

Al Mar AM-C8 Chef's Knife, 8.25 in., Black Pakkawood HandleI've had this knife for years and it's fantastic!

To start with, it is in the Japanese Gyuto (I appologize if spelling is off) style. That is the Japanese "chef" knife and is geared towards meat. The Al Mar's edge and spine curve slowly upward, which is not only beautiful, but puts a lot of edge on cutting board. The western style handle is very agreeable. The entire knife is light and probably has the best balance of any large kitchen knife I own.

The steel is clad. I forget the Japanese term for it, but it's basically hard steel encased in softer stainless steel. That center steel is certainly hard. I had a tough time sharpening it the first year until the final edge was as low and even as I like it. I have had some issues with rust and don't exactly know why. Maybe it was left to air dry. Those few instances aside, it now is clean and beautiful.

I would steer serious beginners to pros to the Al Mar. It takes a little bit of care, as does any kitchen knife, but it pays out in dividends. It takes down meat and vegetables with ease.

This length is great for the home chef since a larger blade requires additional cutting board and counter-top space.

0 comments:

Post a Comment