Farberware Classic 14-Piece Cutlery Set

Farberware Classic 14-Piece Cutlery SetPros: Can't beat the $29.95 price. The wood block is not top heavy and does not have a tendency to fall over. The (non-steak) knives are heavy, sharp and have a nice balance.

Cons: The honing steel has a metal guard. Used properly, the knife should be drawn toward you during maintenance. Figure out another way, though or you will be destroying some edges. As others have mentioned, the 'stamped' steak knives look and feel cheap.

All-in-all, a 5-Star rating for price and quality. Probably the best 'beginner' set I have ever seen.

(...) I'm writing from the point of mainly using grocery store knives except for my wonderful Wustof Bread Knife, which I try to use for just about everything. The block is reasonably nice (mine had two hairline cracks not noticeable enough to exchange). The knives came sharp I haven't used the sharpening tool yet. When cutting up peeled and boiled potatoes the chef knive cut them like it was going through butter. In comparison to my Wustof bread knife, this bread knife does tear a tad and the handle is a bit mightier. Also the steak knives don't sit in the slots perfectly even but they work nicely with very slight tearing. The scissors are great! This set is steel, not stainless steel. Therefore, you can not put them in the dishwasher (though the scissors have gotten in the dishwasher 2x without any problems). They suggest you hand wash and throughly dry.

Buy Farberware Classic 14-Piece Cutlery Set Now

These are a great set for a starter/college student. They were ranked by Consumer Reports as the best buy for knife sets, and with good reason.

I was looking for a cheap set for my parents, to add to their collection of Wusthof Classics and Sabatiers, just for everyday use, soa s not to wear out their more expensive knives. Sure, these might not have the great German steel, but they also don't cost 10x as much, and with my handy electric knife sharpener, that's not really much of a problem.

You sure get a lot of bang for your buck here; the wood block is nice, no cracks. The knives are a great dealbolster, full tang, and forged steel, not stamped like in many cheaper blocks. The polypropylene handles felt a little rough, but overall weight balance felt good.

Great deal! Highly recommended.

Read Best Reviews of Farberware Classic 14-Piece Cutlery Set Here

I bought these hoping to get a good deal on a starter set. The knives arrived in good conditon. Yes they can rust but that is expected non stainless knives. While they are sharpenable, they do not hold an edge for long and i find myself having to resharpen (not just re-hone) with a stone on a fairly regular basis. If your looking for knife to hold a sharp edge, then look for a different make.

Some of the cheaper Henckles international (non serrated) are good for cheap, as well as the chichago cutlery sets. Spend a few extra dollars, youll have these or whatever knives you buy for a while, its worth it.

Want Farberware Classic 14-Piece Cutlery Set Discount?

1-05: I was pleasantly surprised when I got them as to the quality of fit and finish, but didn't know about the edge-holding and cutting ability. Well, it's now been about one year and I can report that this set is worthy of Five Stars. No rusting, holds an edge well and they are still sharp. Of course I occasionally hone with a stone and use the steel often but they have far exceeded my expectations. No prestigeous name, but just an excellent everyday forged steel set of knives.

3-24-06 Update: I was shocked to have the knife edge get large dings/dents when I was trying to chop a large beef bone on a roast. My large chef knife is not usable. Totally bizarre. I'd have to knock it down to 3 stars and give a warning not to totally abuse the knives, they are not as bombproof as I originally thought. Treat them with respect and they should give you long, good service...

0 comments:

Post a Comment